Tuesday, January 5, 2010

: spiced chick peas :

Ever since I watched the documentary, Food Inc., I've been on a bit of a vegetarian-ish kick. I use that term loosely because I am still - first and foremost - an omnivore at heart; however, I also understand the health benefits of eating less meat. I won't even start on the political aspects of eating meat, but let's just say that everyone should learn a thing or two about where their grocery store meat comes from!

That said, my next couple posts will more or less be devoted to vegetarian cooking, with the exception of a few meat dishes here and there that I've promised some people I would post for, er, some time now... *sheepish smile*

As some of you know, I did a stint at the Sobeys Compliments' test kitchen last summer. Together with my colleagues, we spent our time testing, re-testing, and adapting recipes for their Inspired magazine and blog. One of the recipes was a spiced chick pea dish submitted by cookbook author Bal Arneson in their guest chef feature. After re-creating this dish about 4 times, I think I swore to myself that I would never make it again.

But I did.

Again.

And again.

In fact, it's kind of turned into one of my favourite dishes when I'm hankering for a quick Indian fix. Not only is it tasty over rice or with naan bread, but it's healthy, full of good-for-you protein and dietary fibre, and literally takes about 15 minutes to throw together!

So if you're thinking about delving into some ethnic cooking that's both healthy and simple to make, I really recommend trying this out. Check out the Inspired Winter issue for other recipes too!



Spiced Chick Peas (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
2 tbsp (30 mL) Compliments Pure Olive Oil
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
1 tbsp (15 mL) each ground coriander and ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
1 can (796 mL) Compliments Diced Tomatoes, lightly drained
1 can (540 mL) Compliments Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup (60 mL) lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

Directions:
1. Heat oil, garlic and onion in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 to 3 min. Stir in ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and salt to taste; cook until fragrant, about 1 min.
2. Add tomatoes and cook on medium heat, stirring, for 5 min. Add chick peas, turn heat down and simmer, loosely covered, for 10 to 15 min., stirring occasionally. Serve over rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. wow...I'm craving Indian to no end but my recent diet blunders have kept me away. What a great alternative! I think I found my dinner for tonight...I'll let you know how it goes:)

    ReplyDelete